Distracted Driving Is Now More Dangerous than Drunk Driving
The State Department of Highway and Safety and Motor Vehicles reported nearly 50,000 distracted driving crashes in Florida in 2016, including 233 deaths. Drivers are twice as likely to crash “text-driving” as drunk-driving, a coalition of motoring groups and road safety bodies have warned.
3 main kinds of distractions:
- Visual: taking your eyes off the road
- Manual: taking your hands off the wheel
- Cognitive: taking your mind off of driving
Distracted driving activities include taking your attention away from driving, such as sending a text message, talking on a cell phone, using GPS system, and eating and drinking while driving. Any of these distractions can endanger the driver and others in proximity. According to Transport Research Laboratory research, reaction times are twice as long text-driving as drink-driving yet there is still a prevalence of high-profile court cases of drivers causing death and serious injuries because of texting, calling or searching for music while driving.
According to the NHTSA, distracted driving is classified as any activity that takes your focus off the road. At 55 mph, sending or reading a text takes your eyes off the road for about 5 seconds, long enough to cover a football field. There were 3,477 deaths and 391,000 injuries due to distracted driving in 2015. About 660,000 people use their cellphones during daylight hours and that number is growing.
5 Common Distractions:
- Using mobile device (texting) while driving
- Eating or drinking
- Adjusting radio or temperature controls
- Other vehicle occupants
- Driving on autopilot
- 1.3 million car accidents involve use of cell phones
- 70% of smartphone users are on their phones while driving
- 61% of drivers text while behind wheel
Safety and prevention techniques reduce the likelihood of having an auto accident. However, sometimes accidents still happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, it is important to consult with a Board Certified Trial lawyer who has the knowledge and experience to help you. We know accidents can be stressful and want to make the process as easy as possible for you. Call Zarzaur Law, P.A. today at (855) Hire-Joe for a free legal consultation.
Call us today 855-HIRE-JOE!
11 East Romana Street Pensacola, FL 32502
Latest posts by Zarzaur Law, P.A. (see all)
- Golf Carts and the False Sense of Security - June 4, 2018
- Brain Injuries: The Biggest Threat of Contact Sports - May 22, 2018
- AMBULATORY SURGERY CENTER LIFE-THREATENING RISKS - May 7, 2018