Danger: Beware of Road Rage
Road rage incidents in Florida have been on the rise according to The Trace—a non-profit focusing on gun issues. They report that Florida has the most road rage incidents, with 147 incidents, occurring between 2014 and 2016.
In 2012, Florida legislature passed a law that makes it illegal to drive more than 10 miles per hour under the speed limit in the left lane if another car is approaching. Road rage is dangerous and can lead to serious situations because if you are going 10 under the speed limit and someone is trying to pass you, but cannot, they may react in an aggressive, dangerous manner that would cause you to be in an accident.
Statistics from NHTSA and the Auto Vantage auto club indicate how aggressive driving and road rage are serious problems on the road.
- 66% of traffic fatalities are caused by aggressive driving
- 37% of aggressive driving incidents involve guns
- 50% of drivers who are on the receiving end of aggressive behavior respond with aggressive behavior back.
Signs of Driver Road Rage:
- Yelling at other drivers
- Giving obscene gestures to others
- Racing with another driver
- Weaving between cars
- Honking horn at others
- Sudden breaking
- Flashing lights
- Failing to follow traffic rules
Traffic Safety Tips to Prevent Road Rage:
- Take a deep breath before you start cursing or getting aggravated or annoyed with the person driving next to you, in front of you or behind you.
- Do not pull up next to another driver- intentionally yelling or making obscene gestures that would potentially cause the other to react violently.
- Allow yourself enough time to get to your destination. Sometimes being pressed for time leads to being impatient and stressed, which can result in road rage.
- Do not provoke an aggressive driver and report to the police the moment you feel uncomfortable.
Practice safe and courteous driving. Everyone is on the road, and rushing is not worth causing an accident that could potentially lead to fatal consequences.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, it is important to consult with a Board Certified Trial Lawyer who has the knowledge and experience to help you. We know accidents can be stressful and want to make the process as easy as possible for you. Call Zarzaur Law, P.A. today at (855) Hire-Joe for a free legal consultation.
Call us today 855-HIRE-JOE!
11 East Romana Street Pensacola, FL 32502
Latest posts by Zarzaur Law, P.A. (see all)
- Documenting the Scene After an Accident: Why It’s Important. - November 29, 2018
- Delayed Symptoms After a Car Wreck - November 8, 2018
- Joe Zarzaur Receives Award for Pro Bono Work - November 1, 2018