The Number Of Fatal Car Accidents In The U.S. Is At Its Highest Since 2007.
NHTSA REPORTS A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN TRAFFIC FATALITIES
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released its 2020 annual traffic crash data, showing that 38,824 lives were lost in traffic crashes nationwide. That number marks the highest number of fatalities since 2007.
The estimated number of police-reported crashes in 2020 decreased by 22% as compared to 2019, and the estimated number of people injured declined by 17%.
While the number of crashes and traffic injuries declined overall, fatal crashes increased by 6.8%.
THE FATALITY RATE PER 100 MILLION VEHICLE MILES TRAVELED INCREASED TO 1.34, A 21% INCREASE FROM 2019 AND THE HIGHEST SINCE 2007.
In 45% of fatal crashes, the drivers of passenger vehicles were engaged in at least one of the following risky behaviors:
– Alcohol impairment
– Not wearing a seat belt.
A National Crisis
“The rising fatalities on our roadways are a national crisis; we cannot and must not accept these deaths as inevitable,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg. “People should leave the house and know they’re going to get to their destination safely, and with the resources from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, plus the policies in the National Roadway Safety Strategy we launched last month, we will do everything we can to save lives on America’s roads.”
“The tragic loss of life of people represented by these numbers confirms that we have a deadly crisis on our nation’s roads. While overall traffic crashes and people injured were down in 2020, fatal crashes and fatalities increased. We cannot allow this to become the status quo,” said Dr. Steven Cliff, NHTSA’s Deputy Administrator.
In January, the U.S. DOT released the federal government’s comprehensive National Roadway Safety Strategy, a roadmap to address the national crisis in traffic fatalities and serious injuries.
The strategy adopts the safe system approach and builds multiple layers of protection with safer roads, safer people, safer vehicles, safer speeds, and better post-crash care. It is complemented by unprecedented safety funding included in President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.
2020 FATAL CRASH STATISTICS
NHTSA 2020 annual traffic crash data, as compared to 2019 data. The 2020 fatality numbers were the highest since 2007.
The 2020 crash data report also examines fatality data in key categories, as compared to 2019:
- Injured people, including occupants and non-occupants, down significantly in most categories
- Estimated number of police-reported crashes in 2020 decreased by 22%
- Fatalities in speeding-related crashes up 17%
- Fatalities in alcohol-impaired driving crashes up 14%
- Unrestrained passenger vehicle occupant fatalities up 14%
- Motorcyclist fatalities up 11% (highest number since first data collection in 1975)
- Bicyclist fatalities up 9.2% (highest number since 1987)
- Passenger car occupant fatalities up 9%
- Fatalities in urban areas up 8.5%
- Pedestrian fatalities up 3.9% (highest number since 1989)
- Fatalities in hit-and-run crashes up 26%
- Fatalities in large-truck crashes down 1.3%
Total vehicle miles traveled decreased by 11% in 2020, from 3,261,772 million to 2,903,622 million.
Statewide Fatal Crash Statistics
STATE OF FLORIDA
FLHSMV Crash Dashboard
2021 vs 2020 total crashes in Florida – 17% increase
2021 vs 2020 total fatal crashes in Florida – 12% increase
2022 is already at 132,053 crashes and 1,163 fatalities
Escambia County Fatal Crash Statistics
FLHSMV Crash Dashboard
2021 vs 2020 total crashes in esc county – 11% increase
2021 vs 2020 total fatal crashes in esc county – 37% increase
2022 is already at 2,080 crashes and 25 fatalities
What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident While Traveling In Florida
1. Call the police and file a report
2. Swap information (including any insurance info they may have)
3. Gather details
4. Take pictures
5. Gather contact information of any witnesses
6. Seek medical care immediately for any injuries – no matter how minor you think they might be.
Get more helpful information on what to do after an accident here at our “Car Wreck Checklist” >
Joe Zarzaur is a Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney whose firm is dedicated to promoting community safety since 2007. ZARZAUR LAW’S AREAS OF PRACTICE: Serious Personal Injury, Product Defect, Auto Accidents, Cycling Accidents, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Products Liability, Wrongful Death, Community Safety, Boat and Jet Ski Accidents, Slip and Fall Injuries, and more. Licensed in Alabama and Florida.
It is also important to consult with a Board Certified Trial lawyer who has the knowledge and experience to help you. We know accidents can be stressful and want to make the process as easy as possible for you. Call Zarzaur Law, P.A. today at (855) Hire-Joe for a free legal consultation or visit www.zarzaurlaw.com.
If you’ve been the victim of an accident, it’s important that you don’t make any rash decisions. Put yourself in the best possible position to receive the justice you deserve. It is also important to consult with a Board Certified Trial lawyer who has the knowledge and experience to help you. We know accidents can be stressful and want to make the process as easy as possible for you. Call Zarzaur Law, P.A. today at (855) Hire-Joe, or by requesting a free case review through our website.
- National Highway Safety Administration. “Fatal Accident and Reporting System (FARS).” Accessed November 1, 2021.
- Federal Highway Administration. “Highway Statistics Series.” Accessed November 1, 2021.
- Florida International University. “Florida Bans Texting While Driving.” Accessed November 1, 2021
- Vehicle Blindspot Dangers: What You Need To Know. - February 2, 2023
- Is There a Cap On Personal Injury Damages in Florida? - February 1, 2023
- Zarzaur Law To Be Premier Sponsor of the 2023 Pensacon Adult and Kids Costume Contests. - January 30, 2023