Prior to this particular case, all smoke detectors were the same to me. Then in 2010, I was called on to assist in a case involving the untimely death of a family in a house fire.
The family was sleeping in their home when a fire in the living room started because of a surge protector device malfunctioning. A spark from this power strip ignited a couch cushion and a fire ensued. When a fire starts in a couch cushion the smoke that is created is some of the most dense smoke from any fire. Unfortunately, this same smoke is also the most fatal type of smoke in that it literally smothers those around it.
This particular family was in a house that was equipped with ionization smoke detectors.
What is an Ionization Smoke Detector?
Ionization smoke detectors are just one of two types of smoke detectors. Ionization smoke detectors work by having a unit within the detector that contains specially charged particles that are affected by the presence of smoke particles. Once the smoke particles enter the detector and effect the particles within the unit. Once those particles are impacted by the smoke particles, it breaks the circuit and the alarm sounds. Photoelectric detectors work by having a beam of light between two mirrors and if smoke particles break that beam in any way then the dectector will alarm.
Capitalizing on the Ignorance of Consumers
Check Your Smoke Detectors
Joe Zarzaur, founder of Zarzaur Law, P.A., a Pensacola Personal Injury law firm, has created this blog in an effort to educate the many citizens and visitors of Pensacola, Florida about their legal rights. Joe Zarzaur knows the ins and outs of Florida law, and offers friendly-quality legal help whether you have experienced an auto accident/car wreck, have been a victim of medical malpractice or are in need of a personal injury lawyer. For more information, visit: https://www.zarzaurlaw.com
11 E Romana Street
Pensacola, FL 32502