Wrongful Death: Who Can Sue?
The worst situation for any family is a sudden death of a loved one especially when it is due to the carelessness or negligent behavior of another.
A wrongful death claim is a personal injury lawsuit made when someone is killed due to another party’s negligence or intentional act of harm. Wrongful death claims allow the estate of the deceased person to make a claim against the party liable for the death.
Who can bring forth a wrongful death action in Florida?
Survivors of the decedent are those that can make a wrongful death claim:
- Spouse, children and parents of the deceased
- Dependent blood relatives and adoptive brothers and/or sisters
What damages can be sought through a wrongful death claim?
Survivors making a wrongful death claim in Florida can obtain compensation for damages including:
- pain and suffering to the deceased occurring before death (degenerative diseases/debilitating injuries)
- losses incurred by the deceased’s family: lost support and services to survivors-loss wages; mental anguish; financial support; lost companionship and pain and suffering; parental guidance (in case where deceased has children)
- funeral, burial, medical, and/or hospital expenses
How long do you have to file a wrongful death claim?
In Florida, the statutory deadline for bringing forth a wrongful death claim is four years.
If you have lost a loved one, it is important to consult an expert board-certified attorney with the experience and knowledge to represent you through such a difficult process. Here, at Zarzaur Law, P.A. we want to help you get the justice and compensation you deserve. We understand the sudden death of a loved one can impact family members for a lifetime and that is why we, at Zarzaur Law, P.A., make it a goal to fight for your rights. Call us any time at (855) Hire-Joe for a free legal consultation with a lawyer. Let us help you.
Call us today 855-HIRE-JOE!
11 East Romana Street Pensacola, FL 32502
Latest posts by Zarzaur Law, P.A. (see all)
- Documenting the Scene After an Accident: Why It’s Important. - November 29, 2018
- Delayed Symptoms After a Car Wreck - November 8, 2018
- Joe Zarzaur Receives Award for Pro Bono Work - November 1, 2018